What is a babydoll dress ?
A babydoll is a short, sometimes sleeveless, loose-fitting nightgown or negligee intended as nightwear for women.
Short daywear dresses of a similar style are sometimes called babydoll dresses. Some styles are similar to what is worn by dolls in the form of infants, and by some infants.
The name was popularized by the 1956 movie Baby Doll starring Carroll Baker in the title role as a 19-year-old nymphet, which essentially marked the beginning of the enduring popularity of the style for adults.
When should you wear a babydoll dress ?
Babydoll dresses are suitable for young women of all ages, from infants to women in their mid thirties. Plus size babydoll dresses are even an option for women with some extra weight. A woman over 40 however, might look a bit silly in a babydoll dress.
A babydoll dress can be worn to suit different styles and depending on the color and fabric of the dress can be worn in various occasions.
- Everyday – A babydoll dress is perfect for work or school and by adding some accessories it is a perfect option for an after work/school drink.
- At the beach – Wear a babydoll dress on top of your bathing suite on the way to the beach and you can easily go to a restaurant or at the movies on your way back – no need to change clothes.
- At a cocktail party – A babydoll dress is a pefect option for a summer cocktail party. In this case the dress has some elegant details such as embroidery or appliques that make it look elegant and formal. A cocktail party babydoll dress is totally different from the beach or everyday babydoll dress. A pink cocktail dress is the ultimate girly look.
If we would like to find a case when a babydoll dress is not the best option, this should be at a very formal occasion when only long gowns are appropriate.
Are babydoll dresses suitable for winter ?
Although when we think of babydoll dresses our minds instantly go to summer, there is the winter option as well. Think of a dress in the same cut in a winter jersey fabric with sleeves. Style it with opaque tights and ankle boots and you have a perfect winter style for a babydoll dress.
This look is perfect for an everyday look that can you can wear at school or at work.
How to accessorize babydoll dresses
Depending on the occasion and the season, babydoll dresses can by styled accordingly to fit them all. Here are some suggestions.
- Shoes – Wear your babydoll dress with flip flops or wedges for a sexy summer look. In the winter one suggestion is to wear it with opaque tights and ankle boots.
- Jewelry – Depending on the neckline and pattern of the dress you can wear a short or long necklace. Alternatively, you can wear a pair of large earrings or several bangles on your arms. In general, babydoll dresses look good in almost all jewelry so feel free to experiment – just don’t overdo it and wear them all together!
- Bag – Any type of bag can accompany a babydoll dress, depending on the time and occasion. You can wear a backback if you go to school, a messenger bag if you go shopping, a straw basket if you go to the beach, or a satin clutch if you go to a party.